Monday, June 23, 2014

Death to Diets

I'm going to say this now: I hate diets. I hate the word "diet" because modern society has ruined it. What is a diet?

1di·et

 noun \ˈdī-ət\
Definition of DIET1
a :  food and drink regularly provided or consumed
b :  habitual nourishment
c :  the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason
d :  a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight <going on a diet>

 "Diet." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 23 June 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diet>.




Item "D" was added because of its more modern definition, a way of eating for the sake of weight loss. People see the words "dietary supplement" and assume they're for weight loss. When I worked at a GNC years ago, people would ask where the dietary supplements are, and I'd blink at them and tell them everything in the store was a supplement to their diet (which was true). They probably thought I was a smartass, but I liked to think I was putting things into perspective.

I don't diet anymore. I've decided not to. I'd almost say "fuck it" and not worry about it at all, except that I know some foods make me sick, and I also know that some foods are necessary for the way I wish my body to be. I know that while in ketosis, my brain works better, I put on more muscle, and my weight drops. I don't have the frequent visits to the bathroom, nor do I have the massive intestinal pain I normally do eating grains and sugars.

I also know that if I want cheesecake, I can go out and have a damn piece of cheesecake if I want it. I just have to be willing to work extra hard and put up with the intestinal pain.

In other words, my body has dictated to me what it wants me to ingest, and so I will put into my system things that make it run well, to help it build muscle, to keep its parts working fine, and to keep me healthy and sane. That is my diet.

-J
 

No comments:

Post a Comment