Monday, June 27, 2011

Fitnessing Again

I know we've all looked at magazines and oggled over how skinny a model is and whatnot, but I can tell you that they're not exactly healthy unless they're a fitness model. Also, they have a certain genetic makeup that keeps them that way. I can tell you that not all Gals are skinny either, and those who are either have the genes for it, work hard for it, or are probably under-nourished. I sure don't have the genes, and I don't want to be under-nourished, so I better get my butt in gear.

The big problem is that genes DO play a lot into it. Gals, look at your mama. Look at her mama. In my case, I look at the women on my paternal side, because I am built exactly like all of them are, except I run shorter like my maternal side. All of the Miller women are built on the stocky side, with big hips, shoulders, and plenty of boob. All have strong powerful legs and arms, all muscular, and are truly built for hard work and making babies.

That being said, I know I'm never going to have a different body frame. The kinds of exercises I feel best doing all involve strength training. The meals I enjoy best are usually fish and veggie. I love bread, but wheat gluten makes me sick. Right there, I've set up exactly what I need to do to be healthy: eat the veggies and fish, avoid the red meat, avoid the bread. Work on getting stronger, build lean tissue. Accept my body shape and work on what actually needs improving for the sake of my health and not some unattainable aesthetic goal.

I've recently learned to love my legs. Anyone remember Mary Lou Retton? Here's a reminder:






Seriously, look at those legs. They're STRONG. She's 4'8", which is a good six inches shorter than I am. Her legs when she was an active gymnast were AMAZING. I remember, though, that people said her legs were chunky, and I couldn't believe they said that. She was strong, limber, athletic, and I bet could kick the crap out of anyone who tried to get at her. Best of all, those are realistic legs for someone like me. Mary Lou Retton is why I've learned to love my short legs. That's the body of an athlete, and that's the sort of body any woman should want.

I can't wait for the results of my fitness plan. There's going to be not a new Jamie, but the one already emerging from years of trying to fit into a body shape she wasn't born to be.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment