Wednesday, June 8, 2011

ギャル系 (Gal-style)

I don't have time for a huge massive post, so I'm going to be going over some of my favorite ギャル系 at this time. I may be referencing other blogs, so to the peeps that posted those, thanks in advance! サンキュゥ♪(o ̄∇ ̄)/

Mode Gyaru

Really, the best blog post EVER on this is from Mitsu's blog, Universal Doll. Mode is very dressy and stylish, very otona (大人 - "grown up"). It's a high fashion style, so it's typically dressier and more sophisticated than other gal styles. The Japanese brands to focus on are MURUA and EMODA. In my opinion, it's very much about shape and form, about creating an outline using color and fabric. Mode is rather sleek, but I think with the right accents, a curvy person can carry mode very well.

I think if one wants to look for things in the US that suit Mode well, try looking at Express or The Limited. For curvier gals, I've seen a few goodies at Torrid that will work, too, some nice tube tops, cute jackets, and curve-accenting skirts. Don't forget the heels, or in my case, chunky boots. (I have an injury that makes walking in heels abnormally painful. Wide-heels are ok.)

Oraora Gyaru

Seriously, y'all. If you want to see what this looks like, pick up Soul Sister. (There's good scans again on Universal Doll.) It's a little bit of being naughty, a little rock, and a lot of fun. It can go casual, or it can go dressy. Right now, this is my favorite look for daily wear because it really is so versatile and edgy the way I like. One can wear jeans and boots and make it Gal with the right accessories, make up, and hair. SO MANY HOODIES. I have a not-so-small love for hoodies, so my guilty pleasure is fashionable.

By no means am I saying to just throw on whatever you want and hope it looks good. It still involves well-coordinated style. Anyone can put on a baseball tee, jeans, and Chucks and look okay, but with a cute scarf, some colorful accents, and maybe a cute hat, it's truly a coordinate. Polish it and rock it!

Mori Gyaru (森ギャル)

I'm not sure if this is still a popular style, but seeing clothes from a few of the webstores makes me think it's still workable and is very fitting as a more Western approach to Gal.  It's rather boho in appearance, taking the layered and earthy aspects of Mori Girl and adding the Gal-touch to it. Hair is looser, clothes have a bit more flow. It's very relaxed, and to me, a perfect summer picnic style. It's not totally me, but some days I love to rock the broomstick skirt without looking like I'm the Queen of Patchouli.

Other thoughts: I do think Gal is growing up as the gals grow up. Even egg has an Older Sister magazine now (read here: Romihi moving from egg to GLiA) called GLiA . It's still not exactly all the styles that I care for, but it's another sign of the times. More and more shops and stylists are recognizing that you don't have to be under 25 to be fashionable and enjoy yourself. I'm seeing a lot more catering to 30 and up, too, which is a very good thing. It's not the end of the world, but the beginning of enjoying life without the drama.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment