Thursday, June 16, 2011

Play yourself up!

I don't consider myself to be an average Gal. I don't even think I'm Gal by the definitions of most bloggers out there, or at least by their examples. I really don't care, because hey, I'm a realist and I know where my limitations are. I think that's the big thing that turns people off from the style is the whole "omg all these people look like this and I don't" mentality some of the newer people face. Now, I was going to blog about something else today, but this is on my mind, and I'm going to get it out, dang it.

1. I have a latex allergy. - That means that I can't wear false lashes unless I find a glue that doesn't make my eyes break out, which so far, I haven't. What I do have are really long full lashes and excellent mascara and eyeliner. There are people out there who say the falsies are essential to the look, but I don't think so, not in my case. I don't have to fake what I've been blessed with.

2. Big eyes. - Now, there's people out there, all gorgeous in their own right, who do the eye thing WAY too much. Japanese gals extend their eyes for the illusion of making them bigger (just read the Gal-mags [Scan from PopSister at Gyaru Heaven], also pay attention to the cosmetic surgery ads in the back). I have no desire to make my eyes look any larger than they are, so I merely use a line of white eyeliner at the bottom and use black beneath it to get the dramatic look without making my eyes a comedic size. Seriously, Western Gals, lay off the droop. You don't need it to achieve the drama.

3. Contacts. - Again with eye allergies. I've tried contacts before, and it doesn't work for me. My eye flat out rejects them. Now, I am planning on getting some circle lenses to give them a go, but if it's any different, then I'm out of luck. I can't not wear glasses, but at least my glasses are cool. I love how I look in them, so screw it. They're part of MY look. If no one else likes it, that's their problem, not mine. Besides, glasses are cool accessories now.

Also, my eye color is awesome. It's a hazel-blue with a little more brown in one side and a little more green in the other. As I said above, my eyes are fairly big, and the color changes with whatever I wear or the color of my eye shadow. I've got some pictures where my eyes are a vivid purple and others where they're baby blue, and some where they're green. It just happens. Why would I want to cover that?

4. Freckles. - Yep, I has them. I have lots of freckles, and the more sun I get, the more freckles I get. I don't tan evenly. What I do, however, is use a light sunless tanning lotion (Jergin's Natural Glow) for the simple reason that when I go out in the sun and get sunburnt, it keeps me from getting horrific tan lines and blends the freckles in.

Now in no way, shape, or form do I hate having freckles. I used to get teased as a little kid for it, but I've had years to come to terms with my freckle-ness and have come to love it. I think it adds more character to my face, but I like them better when the skin behind them is darker. The only drawback is having to use a little bit of bronzer on my face to make it match my neck and shoulders, but sorry, I would rather use more make up than have skin cancer. Sunblock for the face, pure sun for the rest.

Another bit about me and sunlight is that I don't produce enough vitamin D on my own. The body produces D by direct unfiltered sunlight; radiation makes us healthy, kids, at least fifteen minutes each day. I had a crazy vitamin D deficiency, so now wearing sunblock when I go out is a no-no. I'll still do it if I'm going to be out all day, however, and I always wear it on my face because I don't want to look like I'm 70 when I'm 50. Too much sun will age you!

5. Hair. - Man. I hated my thick curly hair when I was a teenager. It was a pain, but I also lived in humid coastal Alabama. Here in California seems to be the best. I can straighten it or leave it curly if I wish, and there's plenty of people with thin hair that'd kill for my mop. Gal hair tends to focus on body and a bit of curl, something a little glamorous. Well, I get to save oodles on extensions and weaves because I don't need 'em. My hair is awesome. I've even found that Palty Sakura Creamy looks great on my hair and actually fades to a warm golden color that I like just as much.

----

So there's a few things I wanted to get off my chest. There's so many out there that say "Oh, it has to be this way" when it really can be a number of ways. Everyone has their own sense of aesthetics, and playing up what you were blessed with, to me, is essential to the overall Gal style. I love my glasses and my unruly hair, and I can make them both work. You take the trends, take the tips, look at the fashion, and then you make it yours, and you rock that for all it's worth.

Just my Two Cents.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment